Smoked Sausage Mac N’ Cheese
An exclusive Kentucky Legend recipe created by celebrity chef George Duran. As seen on Fox & Friends.
- 4 Kentucky Legend Artisan Crafted Series Smoked Sausages
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 5 cups whole milk
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut smoked sausages into bite-sized pieces
- Add 1 tbs. olive oil to a small saute pan and cook onion on medium heat until browned. Then add sausage pieces until sausage has just begun to brown. Set aside.
- While browning onions and sausage, bring 6 quarts of water to a roiling boil and add 1 tbs. salt. Add pasta and stir gently, allowing pasta to boil for about 7-8 minutes, until al dente. Remove from heat; drain well and set aside in a large bowl.
- Spray a 9×13 deep casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- To prepare the béchamel sauce, start by making a roux in a medium stock pot. Melt butter over medium heat and gradually whisk in flour. Keep whisking in flour until roux is browned, about 5-6 minutes. Gently whisk in milk until properly combined. Continue whisking the sauce until it thickens and begins to simmer, about 10-12 minutes. Whisk in 1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp. pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove roux from heat and add in shredded cheeses. Mix with a rubber spatula until cheese is completely melted. Combine cheese sauce with onion and sausage until smooth. Then mix in pasta.
- If you desire a breadcrumb topping, mix Panko breadcrumbs in a medium bowl with melted butter and dried parsley.
- Pour mac n’ cheese into the casserole dish and top with breadcrumb mixture if using. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, until top is browned and mac n’ cheese is heated through.
10 - 12