Croque Madame Sandwiches
- 2 tbsp. butter, plus some for eggs
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 c. whole milk
- salt and pepper
- nutmeg, freshly grated to taste
- 2 c. spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 8 slices Kentucky Legend Sliced Ham
- 1/2 lb. Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To make the bechamel cheese sauce: Heat a small skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in milk and seasonings, and stir from time to time until sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add spinach to sauce and allow it to wilt. Remove from heat.
- Arrange 4 bread slices on a baking sheet and distribute spinach and sauce evenly over the bread. Top with another slice of bread. Add a small mound of cheese and 2 folded slices of ham on top.
- Bake until golden on top, about 10 minutes.
- While sandwiches are baking, fry eggs in a skillet using a little butter.
- Top each slice of bread with an egg and serve.