Ham and Asparagus Risotto
The delicious cubed ham is complemented by saffron threads in this one-pot dish, which is sure to impress.
- 1 cup Kentucky Legend Diced & Cubed Ham, diced
- 7 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (approx.)
- Pinch saffron threads
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 8 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Heat chicken broth with saffron in saucepan set over medium heat; keep hot over low heat.
- Heat olive oil in skillet set over medium heat; sauté garlic and onion for about 3 minutes or until softened. Add rice and ham; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Add wine; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Ladle hot broth mixture into rice, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition, for about 20 to 25 minutes total or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is almost tender.
- Add asparagus; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Add peas; cook for 30 seconds or until heated through and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter, Parmesan, parsley and lemon zest. Serve immediately.
- Replace saffron with 1/2 tsp ground turmeric if desired.
- Several varieties of Italian rice are suitable for risotto. Arborio is the most widely available but others, such as Carnaroli, Vialone Nano and Baldo, are also suitable and available in specialty shops.
|Per 1/6 recipe|
1 HR 0 MIN