Ham & Melon Summer Skewers
This bright, flavorful appetizer is the perfect kickoff to your al fresco party or backyard barbecue! Created exclusively for Kentucky Legend by celebrity chef Jamie Gwen.
For the skewers:
- One Kentucky Legend Quarter Sliced Ham
- 1/2 small cantaloupe or honeydew melon, halved and seeded
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cocktail skewers
- Cut the melon into bite-sized cubes.
- Slightly warm the ham slices to make them more pliable, using your preferred method of heating. (No need to cook through as Kentucky Legend ham is already precooked.)
- Thread the end of a slice of ham onto each cocktail skewer, alternating with with one cube of melon and one mint leaf before threading other end of ham slice.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the mustard, vinegar and olive oil in a small Mason jar, closing the lid and shaking well. Vinaigrette can be refrigerated until ready to use.
- To serve, pile the skewers on a serving platter. Drizzle the skewers with the vinaigrette and garnish with the sliced almonds.
*Ham & Melon Skewers can be made in advance and stored in fridge until ready to eat.