Hot Dog Bombs
Surprise and delight guests with these delicious bundles of pizza dough filled with garlicky kale, sautéed all-beef hot dogs, tomato and melted cheese.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 Kentucky Legend Hot Dogs, chopped
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 ball (500 g) pizza dough
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup spicy marinara sauce, warmed
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat olive oil in large, nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat; sauté onion for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add hot dogs; cook for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in tomato, garlic and hot pepper flakes; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Arrange kale in even layer in skillet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to medium; cook for about 5 minutes or until softened. Uncover; toss for 2 to 3 minutes or until kale is wilted. Scrape onto large plate; let cool completely. Toss with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Divide dough into sixteen (1 oz) portions. Stretch each portion into large round; spoon 1 tbsp of the hot dog mixture into centre. Gather dough into a ball; pinch and seal to securely enclose filling. Arrange balls on parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
- Brush top of each ball with egg; sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and warmed through. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Tip: Also delicious served with spicy brown mustard, warm cheese sauce or pesto mayo for dipping.
|Per 1 ball (1/16 recipe)|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g|
1 HR 0 MIN