Kentucky Turkey Hot Brown Casserole
This family-friendly casserole, based on a classic American sandwich, is simply delicious.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 c. whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 thick slices day-old white sandwich bread, toasted
- 16 slices Kentucky Legend Quarter Sliced Turkey
- 2 c. shredded Swiss cheese
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Melt butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over top; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in milk; bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange toasted bread slices in a single layer in bottom of greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish, trimming edges if necessary. Top each bread slice with 2 turkey slices.
- Pour cheese sauce over top; sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Arrange bacon slices over top. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted, and filling is bubbling and heated through. Sprinkle with chives.
Tip: Garnish with chopped tomatoes, as well, if desired.
|Per 1/8 recipe|
|Saturated Fat 11g|