Southern Ham & Egg Scones
This loaded breakfast scone is a very tasty way to start the day.
- 2 c. dry biscuit mix
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 c. shredded aged Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 8 slices Kentucky Legend Quarter Sliced Ham, cut into 3-inch rounds
- 8 poached eggs
- 1/2 c. tomato salsa
- 1/2 c. guacamole
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Whisk together biscuit mix, dill and garlic powder; add cheese, tossing until well combined. Stir in milk until soft dough forms. Using 1/4-cup measure, drop 8 rounds onto parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet set over medium heat; cook ham slices for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until starting to brown.
- Halve and toast scones. Assemble ham and poached eggs in scones with tomato salsa and guacamole.
- To poach eggs, begin with cold eggs. Fill a saucepan with enough water to come 3 inches up the side of pan. Stir in 1/2 tsp white vinegar; bring to simmer over medium heat. Vigorously stir water to create a vortex. Break each egg into small dish or saucer. Holding dish just above simmering water, slip each egg into water. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook eggs, in barely simmering water, for 3 to 4 minutes or until whites are set and yolks are cooked as desired. Remove eggs with slotted spoon; place on paper towel-lined plate.
- Alternatively, substitute fried or scrambled eggs for poached eggs.
|Per 1 scone|
|Saturated Fat 8g|
1 HR 10 MIN