Thanksgiving Turkey Casserole
All the best flavors of traditional Thanksgiving dishes are combined in one pan for a simple yet delicious special-occasion casserole.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter (approx.)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) crumbled dried sage
- 12 oz (340 g) Kentucky Legend Quarter Sliced Turkey, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) cubed butternut squash (1/2-inch/1 cm cubes)
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded sweet potato
- 6 cups (1.5 L) cubed day-old bread (such as sourdough, French or Italian loaf)
- 1 cup (250 mL) each shredded Gruyère and white Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) poultry seasoning
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each finely chopped fresh parsley and chives
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 L) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Heat oil and butter in large, nonstick skillet set over medium heat; sauté onion, celery and sage for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in turkey, squash and sweet potato; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until squash is fork-tender.
Place bread in large bowl; top with turkey mixture. Toss gently until well combined. In separate bowl, toss Gruyère with Cheddar. Stir half of the cheese mixture and cranberries into bread mixture.
Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, mustard, garlic, poultry seasoning, parsley, chives, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Pour over bread mixture; stir to combine. Let stand for 10 minutes. Scrape into buttered 13- x 9-inch (3 L) casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese mixture and pecans (if using) over top.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Transfer to wire rack. Let cool for 15 minutes.
Tip: Casserole can be prepared and refrigerated for up to 1 day; bring to room temperature before baking.
|Per 1/8 recipe|
|Saturated Fat 12g|